Thursday, October 31, 2013

Turkey Chili

One of the many things I love about this time of year is making soups and chili. They are so easy to make and you can make several meals out them. This weekend I made a big batch of hearty turkey chili. A couple of years ago I switched to using lean turkey in most dishes that call for ground beef. I haven't missed beef at all. Turkey is leaner and still full of protein.

 Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey
Ground Beef (93% lean) is 180 calories, 8g fat and 23g protein for 3 ounces
Ground Turkey (99% lean) is 120 calories, 1g fat and 28g protein for 4 ounces

To me the calories and fat I cut by using ground turkey is a no-brainer.

This was my lunch l(leftovers) and it was so good. Since I saved some calories and fat with the ground turkey I added a side of guacamole and few baked chips. Gotta have those healthy fats.  If you have never tried guacamole or fresh avocado in your chili, you should give it a try.


Turkey Chili Recipe
2.4 lbs lean ground turkey
2-15oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cans dark red kidney beans (no salt added)
1 package of McCormick reduced sodium chili seasoning
1 T. splenda or regular brown sugar
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 T. cumin
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. chili powder
1/2 t. sea salt
1 t. granulated onion
2 t. hot sauce (I use tobasco)
1/4 t. liquid smoke
optional: 1-13oz can green chilis
optional: leave out the packaged seasoning and double the spices (except the brown sugar, hot sauce and liquid smoke)

Directions:
Brown meat add in tomatoes, seasonings, beans (undrained) and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.

Dress it up with your toppings of choice. I like mix it up. Sometimes I just go for cheddar cheese, non-fat, plain greek yogurt and a few baked chips and other times I add fresh avocado or guacamole and cilantro. My husband of course has to have the fritos :)

Enjoy

Makes approx. 10-12 servings
approx 210 calories per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment