Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Snack Healthy: 12 snack ideas that won't sabotage your diet

One of the most common questions I get asked is, "what are some healthy snack options?" Of course the best option is always some fresh fruit or raw veggies like carrots but let's face it we aren't all that perfect and sometimes we want something a little crunchy, salty or sweet.

I literally went to my own pantry and refrigerator for this post and got out all the snack food I have.

1. I love popcorn! So, it's no surprise this is one of my go to choices. Skinny Pop popcorn is one of my new favorites. It's only 39 calories per cup or 156 calories for 4 cups.


2. Protein bars are an easy on the go option. My favorites are quest bars and power crunch bars at about 200 calories or less and 20 grams of protein you can't go wrong!


3. Other than it getting stuck between your teeth beef jerky is another good one. It delivers high protein and low carb just don't eat too much because it is also high in sodium.


4. This is one is a bit surprising and it's new to me (you can thank Clint at Tulsa Fitness Systems for this idea) but next time your craving something crunchy at the convenient store ditch the bag of potato chips for a bag of pork rinds. One ounce is 80 calories, 8g of protein and 0g carbs.



5. Almonds, oh how they are addictive. Aim for about a half an ounce (about a handful) serving for 80 calories. I love the dark cocoa almonds. Chocolate flavor with out all the sugar.



6. Mix it up with a balanced snack of protein and fat. I love string cheese and a couple of slices of deli lunch meat and all for under 100 calories. Dietz and Watson Gourmet lite turkey deli meat is 50 calories for 2 oz. It is available at most grocery store deli counters.
or string cheese with a handful of nuts


7. Hummus...YUMMUS! Eat it with carrots, sliced bell peppers or even pretzels. 1/4 cup serving of hummus is about 150 calories.

 8. These cheddar skinny sticks are addictive. I call them "healthy-ish" Cheetos because they are multi-grain so that  must make the better. 130 calories for 34 sticks. I truly love these. LOL

9. I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't tell you one of the best snacks is fresh fruit and almond butter. I love gala apples and to me they pair perfectly with almond butter. Just don't crazy on the almond butter. 2 Tbs is 170 calories. When in doubt measure because portion control is important. Calories can quickly add up.
watch portion control
(left is 1 TBS, right is 1-1/2 cups)

10. Also, these apple chips are delightful dipped in almond butter. 1/2 a bag of the apple chips and 1 Tbs. of almond butter is a great snack for under 200 calories. If you decide you want to eat the entire bag you don't have to feel bad because one bag is 180 calories.



11. Peanut butter cheesecake dip and pretzels. I previously posted one of my favorite fruit dips and it is also great with pretzels and graham crackers. I like to dip honey wheat pretzel sticks in this yummy dip. Recipe Here



12. Guacamole and Chips (yes, I said CHIPS) I love these mini servings of guacamole. 100 calories each and perfectly portioned. Eat with a handful of tortilla chips (remember portion control-count out your chips and put the rest away) and you have a great snack under 200 calories. Baked Tostitos are great or you can easily make your own by baking a low carb tortilla.



Okay... yes some of this stuff is processed but I've said many times before I'm not perfect.  I do however try to be realistic and while the less processed the better these are some great options available that won't sabotage your diet.

I hope you enjoy some of these tasty snacks! I just had some apple chips with almond butter. So tasty!

-Kristen

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the ideas! I have also discovered "chips" made from chickpeas which pair perfectly with some roasted garlic hummus. I forget the name but they have them at Reasor's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find the apple chips and skinny sticks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy the skinny sticks at Sam's. The first time I bought the apple chips they were at Green Acres market in Jenks but when I went back they were out. So, I bought a case on amazon for about $26.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Fruit-Organic-Cinnamon-2-2-Ounce/dp/B0017I753O/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1382630988&sr=1-1&keywords=bare+fruit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you find Skinny Pop? All I have found so far are little individual bags.

    ReplyDelete