Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pumpkin Quinoa Breakfast Bake with Cranberries, Apples and Almonds

So I bought some quinoa a few weeks ago and been debating what to do with it. I ran across a few different breakfast recipes on pinterest that sounded good but I really wanted to use pumpkin and make this a festive fall dish...and so Pumpkin Quinoa Breakfast Bake was born. If you are familiar with My Fit Foods this kind of reminds me of the Oat Bake.

First, I peeled, cored and chopped two Gala Apples
(no particular reason I used Gala other than that is what I had on hand)

 Next, I measured out my almonds, cranberries and pumpkin.

 Then I measured and rinsed the quinoa (it is important that you rinse quinoa thoroughly especially if you buy it in bulk) So this is my first time making quinoa and what I didn't realize is how difficult it is to rinse. It can get a little messy because it goes right through the colander. I made quite the mess but it was worth it. After all, quinoa is considered a super food so I think it's worth the extra effort.

Once the quinoa was rinsed I added the pumpkin and spices to the quinoa and mixed together.
Grease a 11x7 (you could use a 8x8) baking pan and spread the quinoa mixture evenly on the bottom.


 Evenly distribute chopped apples and cranberries
 mix together liquid egg whites, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract and whisk
pour on top of apples and cranberries making sure apples are almost submerged.
 sprinkle the sliced almonds on top

Lastly, top with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees
I was seriously like a little kid waiting for this come out of the oven.
 It smelled so good, I could hardly wait.

It did not disappoint. I promise this is a great fall breakfast dish or anytime of year for that matter.

Cut into 6 even servings and enjoy! It's about 215 calories per serving and loaded with protein and nutrients!

 I had a serving this morning for breakfast- it was great reheated. I'll be having this for breakfast for  the rest of the week.

Topped with a heaping spoonful of vanilla Greek yogurt!



Ingredients:
2 Cups of uncooked quinoa (mine probably ended up being like 1-3/4 a cup, I lost some when I rinsed it)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 apples- peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries (I used ocean spray reduced sugar)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1-1/2 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1/4 cup maple syrup (I used log cabin sugar free)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ginger
1 Tbs. splenda brown sugar

Directions:

Rinse quinoa and  mix in pumpkin puree and spices except 1 tsp. of cinnamon. Evenly distribute quinoa mixture on bottom of greased baking dish (7x11 or 8x8). Top with apples and dried cranberries. Next, whisk together almond milk, egg whites, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Pour over apples until they are mostly submerged. Top with almonds and lastly sprinkle brown sugar and remaining cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Serves 6.
Each serving is 325 calories (using sugar free and reduced sugar ingredients)

enjoy!

-Kristen




1 comment:

  1. FYI, I updated the nutritional information. The first time I calculated I did it using 2 cups of cooked quinoa instead of uncooked. The calorie count went up but so did the protein and nutrients :)

    ReplyDelete