Monday, October 14, 2013

Plan Ahead & Be Prepared



So we have all heard funny or motivational quotes about bad diets and working out. Here are a few of the most common ones

“You can’t out run your fork”
“You can’t out train a bad diet”
“You can’t out exercise bad nutrition”

They are all true.

Many times I’ve jokingly said, “I workout out so I can eat what I want.” Truth is it just doesn’t work that way. Don’t get me wrong exercising is extremely important but nutrition is that much more important. You can’t work out hard just to hit up the fast food drive-thru on the way home. I’m sure it taste great and all but don’t throw all your hard work out the window on a temporary fix.

I have found that the best way to stay on track and make healthy choices everyday is to plan ahead. Yes, it takes a little effort but you can do it. Sometimes it’s not even a lot of planning, it’s just simply thinking ahead. Yesterday I attended a birthday party and we all know what that means… cake and other yummy-but not so healthy party foods. Before the party I had a really intense workout and I knew I was going to be starved. It would have been extremely easy to justify eating the cake since I worked out so hard, right? However, I decided to eat something small and healthy before the party to hold me over until I got home and to keep me from being a ravenous beast and eating like 3 pieces of cake. It worked and it was easy. I just threw a protein bar in my purse and ate it on my way there after my workout.  A few weekends ago we went to a football game. Everyone knows there are limited healthy options at a sporting event but for me entertainment doesn’t have to solely revolve around food. I planned ahead and tossed a few protein bars in my purse. When I got hungry at the game I had my protein bar to eat and hold me over until after the game. If you aren’t sure of a healthy protein bar my favorite bar is the quest bar.  Check them out here.
.(Also, If you're interested in a box let me know they are available for purchase at Tulsa Fitness Systems, where I train classes)


Think about when you're most tempted to eat bad foods. For me it is always I am starving and don’t have any healthy options available. I just eat whatever I find. That is why it is extremely important for me to plan ahead. Like I mentioned earlier, it can be as simple as tossing a protein bar or piece of fruit in your bag. This week try making a effort to be prepared. Fix your lunch ahead of time so you won't be tempted to eat a bad meal. If you already have your lunch prepared you will be less likely to eat something unplanned because not only is it not in your plan for the day but also you would be wasting a meal that has already been prepared. If you know you're going out to eat, look up the menu online and decide what you are going to eat before you get there and stick to it.

There are a lot of things you can prepare ahead of time and grab on the go. For me this is especially important for breakfast and lunch because the morning time can be so rushed. Stay tuned because I will be posting recipes to some of my favorite dishes to prepare ahead of time.

You’ve got this! -Kristen

1 comment:

  1. I have found some measure of success in this myself. Rather than succumb to the tempting treats always in the break room I have been bringing a banana and a protein bar. Also cuts down on my walking since knee surgery! LOL!

    ReplyDelete