Thursday, January 30, 2014

Spicy Hawaiian Chicken

So I wanted to do a blog post about how much more cost effective it is to make your own food versus eating out and even purchasing healthy prepared meals to go like My Fit Foods. I'm not trying to knock My Fit Foods I actually love it but it can be pretty pricey so I really only purchase those meals when I'm in a crunch.

I recently purchased the Hawaiian Chicken which I love but a small portion for $7 not ideal.

Last night, I wanted to make a comparison Hawaiian Chicken... it started out that way but then I realized I had a red bell pepper and sugar snap peas and decided to throw them in. It turned out great, I guess I will call this a Spicy Hawaiian Chicken. It is definitely got and Asian twist to it.

Ingredients:
1lb. Chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup Pineapple tidbits with juice (not syrup)
1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half
1 cup mandarin oranges.
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 T. Light Soy sauce
2 T. Garlic Chili Sauce 
1 T. Brown sugar 
1/2 t. Minced garlic
1/2 t. Sesame seed 
1/2 t. Ginger 

Directions:
1. Place chicken pieces in ziploc bag and marindae in 1/2 T. soy sauce, 1/2 C. Pineapple with juice, 1 T. Garlic chili sauce, and 1/2 T. Brown sugar. Place back in fridge (could prepare ahead of time)
2. Chop pepper, cut snap peas in half, portion mandarin oranges and pineapple.
3. Spray skillet with olive oil and begin sautéing peppers with minced garlic about 5-7 minutes.
4. Move peppers to the side and add chicken, remaining 1/2 T. Soy sauce, remaining garlic chili sauce, ground ginger, sesame and 1/2 T. Brown sugar. 
5. Once chicken is thoroughly cooked add pineapple, mandarin oranges, and sugar snap peas. 
6. Heat all thoroughly and serve over brown rice or enjoy by itself. 

Chop bell peppers (I added green bc I had some on had and I love peppers) and cut sugar snap peas in half
Yum... Ready to serve up!
We served ours over brown rice. So delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment