Monday, November 25, 2013

Turkey Meatloaf and Garlic & Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes

So last night was a rare occasion it was a week night and both my husband and I both were going to be home. So I thought I would make a nice home cooked meal. I was in the mood for some comfort food but something healthy, of course. So I decided on Turkey Meatloaf and Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Sweet potatoes. I was going to have baked broccoli as well but we had a minor emergency in the kitchen and I ran out of time. The minor emergency...my husband volunteered to help! I thought awesome this will help things go by so much faster, WRONG. Men who don't cook need step by step directions. It almost takes more effort than it is worth.

It all started out great. I got all the food out and organized by what needed to go with what. I thought I would give my husband something easy...peeling and dicing sweet potatoes can't be too hard right? Well, you can't just say peel and dice these. He wanted to know if he needed to cut the end off first? and what about these tiny dark spots? and how do I cut them in 1 inch cubes? Oh, they are being mashed so it doesn't matter what they look like? After finally getting the the sweet potatoes peeled and diced, I had him place them in a pot and cover with water to get them started boiling. I'm busy and working on the meatloaf and didn't realize that he has started cleaning up. He tried to put all the skins down the garage disposal. OOPS! He response... he thought I did it that way. SMH, no honey, I just peel them in the sink then transfer to the trash. Anyways he spent the next hour unclogging the sink/ garbage disposal and well I was on my own with the rest and without a sink. The no sink thing is really inconvenient I never realized how many times I wash my hands while cooking. Oh and my phone died after documenting a handful of pictures. However, the end result was a very yummy healthy, comfort food meal but I don't have as many pictures to post and the bakes broccoli became a easy side salad.

Let's begin with the mashed sweet potatoes..



Ingredients:
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 laughing cow garlic and herb cheese wedges
1/4 cup of skim milk or unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste 
Optional topping:
2 T breadcrumbs
2 T grated Parmesan cheese
Mix together

Directions:
Cover sweet potatoes with water and boil until tender and easily mashed. About 20 minutes. Once tender drain water and return to pot over low heat, add all ingredients and begin to mash. Once thoroughly mashed to desired costitency transfer to serving/baking dish. They are ready to serve but an option would be to top with Parmesan and bread crumb topping and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. I choose to add the topping and bake because I was waiting on myeatloaf to finish baking.



Turkey meatloaf recipe coming soon... I promise! 





No comments:

Post a Comment