Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Eat to Live, Don't Live to Eat.

Food it good, right? There isn't really a person I know that hates eating. Most people I know enjoy eating but it's important that food and eating habits don't rule your life. You eat so you can live, you don't live so you can eat. Learning to remain in control of food and not letting it control you is crucial. If you happen to be like me and have a bit of an addictive personality, it can be easy to go overboard. If a little must be good, them more is even better right? !? This is not true. Sometimes more can bad, really bad. It can destroy all your hard work and keep you from getting the results you desire. Even too much of a good thing can sometimes be bad. Almonds, avocado, quest bars, peanut butter-all things I love that are good for me but too much can kill my diet. If I'm not careful I can find myself in a cycle of overeating (even good and nutritious foods) and then working out to burn it off. This is bad and this is food controlling you. If you find yourself saying things like, "I can eat this I'm working out later" or "I deserve a cookie because I worked out" guess what? Food is controlling you. Here are a few tips to keep from overeating and staying in control of your eating habits.

1. Listen to your body. Are you truly hungry? Sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Drink water first and then if you still find yourself hungry, eat something. Also, watch out for boredom munchies. Don't just eat habitually eat when you are hungry.

2. Plan your meals to stay in control. (I know I say this A LOT but it's because I have found it to be key to my success) I find that whenever I eat something I wasn't planning on eating, I end up saying things like, "Oh well, I'll just workout later" If you have to workout because you ate something bad, then your food is controlling you. You should workout because of the benefits of working out not so you can eat whatever or ease your guilty food conscious. So plan what you eat to stay in control.

3. Don't reward yourself with food. It is okay to have a cookie occasionally (moderation) but don't eat treats as part of some reward system. Doing so allows food to have control over you. Does bribery really work with kids? (speaking as someone without kids, LOL) Maybe in the short term but in the long term it's not really teaching them the behavior you want them to have. Why would it work with adults? Workout and you can have a cookie? Sounds like the same thing to me. Just have a cookie as a treat occasionally-no strings attached.

I have to be honest, these are things I get caught up in too and it's a work in progress but just like working out, when it burns and you want to quit you tell yourself, "it's mind over matter." The same applies to eating. If you aren't hungry don't eat. If you are hungry eat. Gain control over your mind. Remember you eat to live, you don't live to eat!

Kristen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment