Friday, October 18, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe


Tonight is perfect weather for a
hearty bowl of chicken tortilla soup.

I always get excited to make my first batch of chicken tortilla soup. When the weather turned chilly today I knew it was time to get the crockpot out. 

I love this recipe not only because it's seriously good but also guilt free and who needs guilt?! Honestly, you should feel lucky because I'm giving away family secrets-okay not really but I do have to give my Mom some props for this one. I've changed it some but it all started with her recipe.

Okay so since it's chicken tortilla soup, I guess we will start with chicken. You need 2lbs of chicken breasts. I like the good stuff you get from the meat counter-it makes up for the canned stuff I throw in later.  

Place the thawed chicken breast in the bottom of the crockpot.  Next, add in the canned goods and seasoning. (I have a disclaimer about me occasionally using canned and boxed foods- come on I'm not perfect) 2 cans of 99% fat free cream of chicken, 2 cans of rotel (1 mild can if you don't like spicy) 1 can of chicken broth, 1/2 can green chilies, 1 package of white chicken chili seasoning and 1 package taco seasoning-I use McCormick brand for both seasonings. Hold off on the beans and extra can of broth.

So dump it all in there and mix, mix, mix.
 Once mixed thoroughly, make sure the chicken is completely covered and cook on high for about 3-4 hours.
 Mine took about 3-1/2 hours for the chicken to be fully cooked and tender.
The chicken should shred very easily. Be careful not to overlook. 

Once the chicken is done, remove from crockpot and shred. 

Once you've shredded the chicken, place it back in the crockpot.


Slightly drain the beans and add both cans. I always wait and add the last can of chicken broth only if the soup seems too thick.


Cook on high for about another 15 minutes and it's ready to eat. 

Great topped with cilantro, mozzarella cheese (I use 2%) and non-fat plain Greek yogurt. If you have a few calories to spare add the tortilla chips-after all it is called chicken tortilla soup. 


Fancy dinner right here. Come and get it. 


This stuff is seriously so good! I promise you won't regret making it. My husband loves this soup. It makes quite a bit for just two people so I generally freeze half of it for later.  It freezes great. 

I'm having my bowl right now!


Oh-and it's only 160 calories per serving (not including any toppings.) I did say guilt free, right? ;)



Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup 
Approx. 10 servings

Ingredients 
2lbs chicken breast
2 can cream chicken soup-99% fat
1-2 cans chicken broth
2 can great white northern beans
2 cans of rotel
1/2 can green chilies
1 package white chicken chili seasoning
1 package taco seasoning

Directions:
Place thawed chicken breast in bottom of crockpot add all ingredients except beans and 1 can of broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours (until chicken is fully cooked and shreds easily.) Remove chicken and shred, place back in crockpot with remaining ingredients. Only add extra broth if needed. Mix it up and cook for about 15 more minutes. Ready to serve. 

I hope you enjoy!- Kristen

1 comment: